I'm a guy with three pugs who harbors disdain for many things. Welcome to your one stop shopping for all of the useless, mindless bullshit that permeates my brain at any given time.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Madness Continues...

The Fly was great. It had been awhile since I last saw that flick. One of Jeff Goldblum’s best performances, as far as I’m concerned. His transformation into Brundlefly is engaging and visceral. I love how so many of Cronenberg’s movies focus on the human psyche and interpersonal dynamics & the role they play in everyday life. I caught an advanced screening of ‘A History of Violence’ last month, and loved it. While so many are touting the flick as Cronenberg’s most commercially accessible movie, I enjoyed it for the fantastic character development & the great acting of Maria Bello & Viggo Mortensen.

After The Fly, most of the next few movies were ones I have watched in the past. I threw in Dario Argento’s ‘Phenomena,’ which I found to be decent. I must admit that I don’t hold the same fascination for Argento that some do. I enjoy his visuals, and appreciate his movies for the ripple effect that they have created in the horror genre, but his movies don’t really scare me, per se. They’re more of a tripped-out ride in the realm of some dude’s subconscious fantasies…

Phenomena led to ‘The Entity,’ a movie I stumbled upon about a year ago. The premise of this flick involves Barbara Hershey as a single mother who is repeatedly raped & attacked by a ghostly presence. This movie proves much more effective than the bullshit PG-13 schlock that is constantly being churned out by Hollywood.

After a vote with the folks I’m staying with, the next movie shown was Rob Zombie’s ‘House of 1000 Corpses.’ I like this movie for its intent, and for Zombie’s vision, albeit a vision that borrowed heavily from his own influences. Personally, I liked ‘The Devil’s Rejects’ more than ‘Corpses,’ but both movies hold repeat viewing value for me, which is good enough to warrant Halloween weekend marathon status to either.

I’m about to watch ‘Incident On and Off A Mountain Road,’ which is the first installment in Showtime’s Master of Horror series. This is some serious shit for us horror geeks in the world. We’re talking about the minds that brought us such movies as Phantasm, A Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Audition, Reanimator, Suspiria, The Stand, Halloween, and An American Werewolf in London. I am interested to see how this ‘episode’ plays out, as I have high hopes for this project.

More to come…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home