I'm a guy with three pugs who harbors disdain for many things. Welcome to your one stop shopping for all of the useless, mindless bullshit that permeates my brain at any given time.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Bring on the Mothership!!

I’ve been feeling a little run down over the last couple of days. I think it’s a combination of getting burned out on the whole cleaning-of-the-new-apartment situation. I’ve also been dealing with a sore throat, scratchy eyes, and a snotty nose. I’m thinking the 50 degree temps in our living room is the culprit there. The weekend just seems so far away…Work isn’t helping much, as December is a slow month, so I’ve had to keep myself entertained, which I can do as well as the next guy but dicking around on the internet for most of a workday isn’t as entertaining for me as it may be for some…

I recently found out that the George Eastman house here in Rochester has a theatre that shows movies every night. This is great news for a movie buff like myself. The theatre shows classics, new and old…restored prints…hard to find extended & directors cuts…and more. Well, it seems that this theatre will be playing my all time favorite flick, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, on 12/22. I watch Close Encounters a handful of times a year, and continue to add to my memorabilia collection for the movie. Unfortunately for me, I have yet to see the movie on the big screen. I came close, as my wife was going to take me to a once-in-a-lifetime screening of the movie back in September, for my 30th birthday. The movie was being shows (once) at Devil’s Tower, courtesy of the great folks from the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Austin, Texas, and their Rolling Roadshow series.

Shortly after purchasing tickets for the screening, and starting plans for a trip to Wyoming, I was told I’d be losing my job, which led to me finding a job back East, and moving home to NY. That whirlwind of events coupled with the outrageous amount of money the move cost Amy and I led our inability to make the trip to see the movie.

Now, some 3 months later, I find out I get to see Close Encounters on the big screen, at a sweet theatre within walking distance of our new apartment!! Woo hoo!! This is thrilling for Amy and I, since we both share a fondness for this movie. I’m a Spielberg whore, but Close Encounters takes the cake over Jaws and ET, as far as I’m concerned.

Another day, I’ll have to share the story of watching the movie for the first time with Amy on the first of what would end up being many ‘mushroom movie nights’ for us. And I'm not talking about Portobellos...

(enter naughty smile here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home