I'm a guy with three pugs who harbors disdain for many things. Welcome to your one stop shopping for all of the useless, mindless bullshit that permeates my brain at any given time.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

What, Me Diet?

Growing up, I was always tall & lanky. Even when I shot past 6 feet, I never weighed more than 150 pounds through high school & college.

All of that changed about 5 years ago….and, moreso—after my move to Dallas 2 years ago. I think that 24 months of sedentary lifestyle coupled with poor eating habits (who can resist real Texan BBQ? Not me!!) and an increased beer intake has led to me having a bit of a gut here at the age of 30. A friggin’ pot belly!!

At one point in Texas, I weighed around 210 (I’m about 6’2” or 6’3”), I think. I can remember being at the doctor’s office when I had official word that I cracked the 200 pound barrier. Few months later, I was down to about 190, which is where I stand today. For my height, I’m not terribly overweight—it’s just that I want to get rid of this damn gut that has developed over the last 2 years.

During the last few days, I’ve been scoping the internet getting ideas for proper dieting and good exercises & weight routines that will help me shed the few pounds I want, as well as tone me up a bit. I’ve done way too much reading about caloric intake and random lifestyle changes that must occur if I’m going to do this with any amount of concerted, planned effort…and damn!! Let me tell you—it was nice growing up, never really paying much attention to what I was eating, since I never gained or lost weight. Now I’m looking at having to engage portion controls!! And actually pay attention to serving amounts.

WTF??

I’m not exactly sure what 3 ounces of chicken breast or salmon look like on a plate next to ½ cup of steamed veggies and 1/2 cup of rice, but I know this---it sure as hell isn’t enough to take care of my voracious appetite!! And ooooh!! I can have an apple for a snack. Or 12 pretzels. That’s the ticket!!

I could easily lose weight by not drinking beers for a few months, and by cutting out any and all fast food. I’ve done that before, and the pounds shed pretty quickly, even without exercise. My desire is to actually start paying more attention to the foods I’m eating, and start a regimented exercise program, as to help whip my 30 year old ass back into shape. I’m not going to completely abstain from my tasty brews, or good ‘ole BBQ, but I want to implement healthy changes to my lifestyle that I can count myself on following through ¾ of the time.

Don’t get me wrong---there are plenty of things I do now, to consciously work at my diet. My wife and I eat a fair amount of vegetarian foods and dishes, along with whole grain products and organic food when possible. I’m just too easily tempted to hit up a burger joint for lunch, instead of preparing myself a couple of tuna sandwiches the night before. Fast food is too easy, and too accessible! And when eating it, I can pound down a few thousand calories in one meal, easily.

All of this leads into my New Year’s resolution for ’06. I’m going to abstain from beer for a few months, and kick into gear some dieting by caloric limitations, along with a regular exercise routine 5-6 days a week. I figure come the end of February, I should be in better shape, and will have incorporated the changes to the point that I probably won’t be bothered by the little things like weighing out portions and paying attention to nutritional values on labels (THAT’S what all that stuff is there for!!). And then I can just continue living a healthier, more active life.

I want to grow old with my wife, and enjoy many, many more years of concerts, movie marathons, and enjoying the splendor of things like a nice hike in the woods, or a good camping trip. Pounding down bacon double cheeseburgers and slice after slice of pizza isn’t going to help me achieve these goals. But I guess once my goals are achieved, then the occasional burger or garbage plate will taste that much sweeter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home