I'm a guy with three pugs who harbors disdain for many things. Welcome to your one stop shopping for all of the useless, mindless bullshit that permeates my brain at any given time.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Wintertime Blues

It’s another grey, snowy day here in Rochester. The one thing I miss about Texas is the weather. I can’t stand the snow…I don’t mind the cold so much—it’s the constant overcast skies and endless frozen precipitation that this area gets. There’s actually a ‘Golden Snowball Award’ given out annually to the Upstate New York city that receives the most snowfall in a season. The original award was the result of a friendly competition of National Weather Service offices in Upstate New York. After the Rochester and Syracuse offices closed in the mid-1990s, the competition died out.

The award was revived during the 2002-2003 snowfall season, in which Syracuse won. Syracuse has won every year since then as well. The prize is accompanied by a ceremonial $100 check. The cities that compete for the award are Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse.

There’s nothing about the cold snowy weather that makes me want to celebrate shit. I’d rather be outside enjoying sunshine and 70 degree temps, dancing at a show or camping out with friends at a music festival. Good weather inherently leads to better moods, a more active lifestyle, and an overall improvement in my general well being. I know, I know...here I am bitching about the winter weather of upstate Western New York, and the official start of winter is a week and a half away, not to mention the following 3-4 months worth of depressing weather.

This snow shit is for the birds. I’m sure it’s great for those who like to put multiple layers of clothing on to tolerate the frigid air for extended periods of time…or for skiers & snowboarders. Not for me, though. I guess it does give me reason to hole up in the house for some reading, writing, or movie marathons….

And makes me look forward to Spring & Summer that much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home